Saturday, July 01, 2006

universal design







The concept, which apperently was introduced by americans is outlined in the first two pictures.
A further simplification of the problems is to say "how can we make a one size fits all thing in every dimension from economics to ergonomics.".

The irony, if you can see it, comes from the fact that the universal design motto seems to be: "universal design values each and every individual" when in fact it boldly tries to create a common denominator for everybody, smoothing to the extreme any individual traits that each of us has. Perhaps is a subtle point... I will not tread on this issue anymore.

Anyways, it was there that I found out that I am quite a bit taller than the average Japanese (see fig) and this may explain why I bumped my head several times of various things, most likely from the pre-universal-design era.

The universal design wall (fig) shows many items, but the foldable piano was my favourite.

No comments: